Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I H-A-T-E WINDOWS !!

Greetings:

It has been a really long time since I have posted anything about Macs or Windows or Unix or Linux or Zenix or anything like that.  But, recently, I tried to "upgrade" my Win-7-Pro installation and, before you could say, "Stop, Billy!  Stop!" WinDoze had gone and re-partitioned my HD.  Just as I had finally gotten everything installed the way I wanted in on the new machine. 

Yes, I know, I know.  WinDoze is not like Unix or Mac where you just upgrade the OS and nothing else is directly affected - well, not normally, anyway.  And I guess I was just hoping that maybe, just maybe, I was condemning WinDoze too early because it took two days to get everything RE-installed for just the WinDoze part.  After all of the upgrades, and more upgrades and more upgrades...  Ad infinitum ad nauseum.  And, well, you know what happened.  It really did re-partition the HD and erased all of my hard, three-weeks work. 

So, now I get to start all over.  WinDoze STILL ain't anything like Unix nor Linux nor Mac.  And I really, really, REALLY HATE WINDOWS !!!  And, no, since it was a new machine, I had NOT installed the backup software nor done a backup.  Bad, bad, programmer!!  Mea culpa.  But, I've learned my lesson.  Backup, backup, backup!  Especially with WinDoze.  My Macs are always backed up all the time. 

I guess I deserve what I got for treating WinDoze like a red-headed step-child.  But I only have two of them; a Big Dell desktop with 12GB of HS-RAM, great graphics and a dual-i7 cpu (quite old now - almost 2 years) and a new quad-core-i7 Toshiba laptop with 8GB of RAM that I take out to my clients.  The rest are all Macs.  The Big D will have to wait until I have some quiet weekend time to get everything installed.  But I will backup everything as I go this time.  Just in case it kicks me in the pants again.

Shalom,
jco

No comments: